Below I have added a fab recipe that I like and would like to share with you as a healthy yet still tasty alternative meal. It makes four servings and has approximately 288calories per serving.
Mexican baked eggs are cooked in one skillet/wok/pan and make a delicious breakfast or dinner. It is low in calories and high in protein, so a healthy meal. This dish is full of flavour with red chilli and garlic. It costs approximately £5.50 to make.
- 1 tbsp oil (Olive or Vegetable)
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 x 400 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 400 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Large handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 8 medium eggs
- Sour cream, to serve
- Crusty bread
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Heat oil in large frying pan and gently cook the onion for 10 minutes, until softened. Stir in chill and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and kidney beans and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir through coriander and check the seasoning.
- Empty into a large, shallow, oven – proof serving dish. Make a small well in the mixture and crack an egg into it. Repeat with remaining eggs, spacing them apart.
- Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes or until egg whites are set. Garnish with coriander. Serve with the sour cream and some crusty bread if you are having an extra treat.